Be a part of growing Pisgah Legal Services’ innovative and highly successful Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program (MAVL) in Asheville, N.C. Help build the capacity of Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) to provide high quality legal advice and representation to low income clients by supporting the work of over 325 volunteer attorneys who offer pro bono legal services to PLS clients. This full time position will provide administrative program support to assist clients in getting timely pro bono legal advice and representation on critical issues impacting their basic needs and financial stability. PLS is a community-based non-profit county serving western North Carolina.
• Maintain courteous, professional demeanor with volunteer attorneys and clients.
• Communicate with volunteer attorneys to refer cases and to ensure that cases are handled and closed appropriately.
• Respond in a timely manner to volunteer attorneys who need assistance with scheduling appointments, notary services or other administrative support for pro bono client services.
• Provide MAVL-specific client screening noting deadlines and advising clients of the MAVL process. Following up with clients as needed.
• Train and supervise volunteers for MAVL-specific client screening and case management/follow up.
• Respond to clients’ inquiries and manage client documents and files.
• Assist with scheduling Pro Bono Consultation clinics and provide administrative support for volunteer attorneys during those clinics.
• Assist MAVL Team in hosting CLEs, Pro Bono Celebration week and other attorney appreciation events.
• Typing/word processing: prepare letters, reports, forms and any other material needed by MAVL team.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills Required: This position requires a highly organized, detailed oriented, self starter who can work with attorneys, volunteers and clients with respect and courtesy. Applicants should have the ability to work with a broad range of people, a commitment to building an innovative program and a passion for social justice. Must be a team player with a “can do” attitude. Other skills include:
• Ability to use data base programs and utilize technology.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships and manage volunteers
• Organization, accuracy and attention to details.
• Document preparation / word processing skills.
Click here to visit the Pisgah Legal Services website. Pisgah Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Racial minorities, women, the elderly and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.